Welcome to Our SolidWorks 09 CO2 Dragster Tutorial
The tutorials are written for Solidworks 2009. The following tutorials with the PDF icon are available for download. Download the free reader from Adobe. Any questions contact us at
CO2 Shell Dragster 2009
Table of Contents
1. Blank. All units are metric.
3. SW to MCX4. In this tutorial you open your SW body file in Mastercam X4. In Mastercam X4 you rotate solid body into the correct Mastercam XY planes, create a
wireframe centered around the solid for toolpath containment and loft flat cut surface. Also, your create new WCS views for toolplanes.
4. Body toolpaths. Units are all metric. Toolpaths to cut body from balsa
blank: 1) Bottom shell wheel cutouts using rough pocket and finish parallel. 2) Cut body left side using finish blend toolpath. 3) Copy and paste left cut to right side and reselect planes and surfaces to cut.
5. Front Wheel GT-F.
6. Rear Wheel GT-R
9. Drawing. 11” by 17” paper. Click here to view pdf drawing.
11. Axle Retainer with Mates.
12. Eye Screw with Threads and Mates. It is not recommended to model threads, but they are so cool.
13. Cartridge with Mates.
14. Flames Decal for Body. Click here to try our flames file and here for the alpha file.
15. Analyze in Wind Tunnel. Analyze assembly design using Flow Simulation and create animation of flow trajectories. Our best was 12.72 drag! Can you design car with less drag?
16. Body Configurations. Perfect for the advanced designer to create multiple variations of part all in one file. Second added configuration extrudes “tail” area below the cartridge hole and
3rd configuration ramps front wheel shell.
MCX4 for SW
17. Mastercam X4 for SolidWorks Toolpaths. Create bottom cut shells toolpath, left cut toolpath and mirror to right cut within SolidWorks. You rotate solid body into the
correct Mastercam XY planes and create HST surface finish toolpaths to cut car from balsa blank.